People Incorporated’s Dakota Apartment Program helps waiver-eligible individuals with a Serious and Persistent Mental Illness (SPMI) diagnosis live more independently in an apartment, community setting while still getting the mental health support that they need.
Referrals come from an individual’s county of residence or case manager. Clients must be able to pass a criminal background check. Call Central Access at 651-774-0011, Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. for openings and eligibility information.
Our Dakota Apartment Program provides a moderate level of independent living and supportive mental health services support in a community setting. Staffed hours are 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m., seven days per week, with phone support available for emergencies.
- Mental health symptom and medication management
- Transportation to medical and psychiatric appointments and other activities
- Living skills/foundational wellness development including:
- Appointment scheduling, budgeting, and shopping, cooking and nutrition, employment skills, household management, using transportation, socialization and recreational skill development
- Community living must be a reasonable expectation for individuals in these programs
- Each apartment offers two private bedrooms
- Shared bathrooms
- Shared living space with cable TV
- Shared kitchen
- Shared outdoor space
- Laundry rooms on each floor
- No elevators in the building
The rent is $550 per month per client and utilities are included (plus cable in the living room). Internet is not provided and clients would have to pay extra if they wanted cable in their bedroom.
Clients receive a laundry card for the apartment complex office and are responsible to load money on to the card to do laundry.